Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Peruvian Party!

This past summer at a neighborhood block party we met a Peruvian family down the street. The wife speaks English well, but for some reason her husband doesn't speak English (he's lived in the U.S. for a long time - I think he's just nervous). Chris learned to speak Spanish on a church service mission and so they really enjoyed talking to us. I took a few years of Spanish in high school, so I remember some, but mostly I just smile and listen and try to catch a few words. Recently they invited us to the dad's birthday party: Peruvian food, friends, and dancing. I didn't really pay attention to the dancing part of the invitation, but I should have! As soon as enough people showed up, they quickly moved the furniture out of the way to make a dance floor (they had quite the music system set up!). And you could NOT tell them no - they wouldn't accept it. It's probably the first time I've ever had people openly laugh at my dancing, but it was very good natured. Once I got used to it, it was a lot of fun. And the food was DELICIOUS! I love trying new food. I even learned to have fun dancing. But the best part is how welcoming the Hispanic culture is; every time another family showed up they went around the room saying hello to everyone. We've already been invited to next year's party!

No comments: